Today I’m rejoining a great group of ladies for the Junk Revision Challenge. Each month the group is given a theme and it is up to us to use our own junk to follow that theme and see what we can create. The last time I joined this blog hop the theme was Valentine’s Day when I brought you my valentine made of sticks.
This months theme is Bits and Pieces in which we had to take parts from at least 2 different items and turn them into one amazing piece.
So once you check out my IKEA cabinet with recycled soda can labels make sure you check out the other ladies contributions at the end of the post.
This project started out with this birch plywood cabinet originally from IKEA. I don’t think they are currently for sale but considering how long they have been around, they should be landing in thrift stores and yard sales. I’ve had mine for at least 20 years.
The cabinets all came with the little finger hole to open and close the drawers but if you turn the drawers around, you have a flat surface to work with.
Started my transformation by staining all the drawers inside and out and the cabinet that holds all the drawers on the outside.
I was so proud of myself for using plastic gloves for staining this time. Usually, I remember the gloves after I start and by then my hands are a mess.
Followed the stain with 2 coats of varnish. The inside of the cabinet was painted black.
On just the fronts on the drawers and the outside of the cabinet, painted a layer of linen chalk paint. The chalk paint was lightly sanded, especially the edges and followed by a coat of tinted wax to muddy up the finish.
At that time, I knew I was going to make more labels with my Avery, address labels (1″ x 2 5/8″, clear ) because I had so many left over.
Back to the computer where I lined up my labels. I only needed 6 for this project, but why waste a whole sheet of address labels. If you like you can download any of these. It may save you time aligning your own labels. I also included 2 different sizes and 3 different fonts. This font is Viner Hand ITC.
These labels are a bit larger and take up the entire address label. This font is Algerian.
And this is the size and font, Mom’s typewriter, that I used for this project as well as the numbers in my previous project.
Using regular household scissors cut the top and bottom off of a soda can.
Use the stickers you printed earlier, adhere to the inside of the can and cut out.
The stickers I used were clear, but opaque, they didn’t allow the shiny to shine through. Scratch off the opaqueness with something fairly sharp, the edge of a knife, a flat head screwdriver… Be careful not to scratch off the lettering, or at least, not too much.
These are the 4 stages of the labels.
a. print on a clear label
b. adhere to a soda can
c. scratch off some of the label to reveal some of the shiny can beneath
d. In the final step, use a q-tip to dab on some tinted wax, (the same kind of wax you would use for chalk paint) to age the label a bit. Don’t rub too hard on the lettering or it will rub off. The wax will not only age the label but also seal the print.
I found these cute little handles at Hobby Lobby, 4 for $1.99 (pre-coupon).
Two tacks was all it took to attach my soda can labels to the chest.
Thanks for stopping by. Make sure to check out more bits and pieces creations by my fellow Junk Visionaries below…
I was featured at