Remember when I hit the scavenging jackpot a couple of weeks ago. I had the pleasure of digging thru the props room of a theatre company. As a reminder, below you can see some of my goodies.
I already shared with you the bench, it doesn’t look quite like that anymore.
If you look to the right of the bench and behind the shutters…it’s a giant seed packet. It’s not a giant seed packet yet, but it does have the perfect dimensions for a seed packet.
The sign-to-be is just strips of plywood held together with cross bars and screws from the back. That’s right, no pallets were harmed in the making of this project. Overall dimensions were 28 inches by 42 inches.
Of course, if you don’t have the pleasure of raiding a props department, pallet wood would work great or reclaimed fencing or even strips of plywood held together with cross bars and screws from the back.
I don’t know why or even how I got stuck on vintage seed packets, but after googling seed packets I settled on these 2 designs. Mainly because they are rather simple graphics.
The Sunflower Seed Packet was found at Lisa’s Creative Designs, and the onion seed packet was found at The Old Design Shop . Love the graphic on both of them but eventually decided to do the sunflower assuming more people would rather have a flower on their wall rather than an onion. Though that is one fine looking onion.
With leftover tan latex paint, painted the background of the sign. While the paint was still wet, added a few drops of a royal blue and blended that into the background paint. If you check out the seed packet, you will see a little blue in the background (at least that is the look I was going for)
I just used the same brush that I used for the background, still wet with the tan paint and just painted back and forth until the blue was well blended. If it’s too light, add more blue…if it’s too dark add more of the background color.
I’m not going to go into much detail transferring the lettering and the flower because it’s pretty much the same for all my signs. Pulled into Publisher where I changed the paper size to 28×42, stretched to fit, printed out, taped together, pencil scribbled on back, traced around the lettering…
If you’re new here and need more transferring step by step, check out my Raven sign.
For this project, I transferred the lettering separately from the flower.
Time to work on the flower. The flower can be as painterly as you like. I would say this project is a medium difficulty. If you’re comfortable painting, just blend the paints as you go. If you’re not as comfortable, I would suggest using the project as a paint by number and just breaking it down into it’s basic colors, tackling one petal at a time.
The paints are just acrylic craft paints, available at any craft store.
Finished off with a light sanding. Edges were stained with a dark wax and the bulk of the sign with a clear wax.
I sort of want to do the onion now.
Have a great week and I’ll see ya next time.
and I was featured at