A couple of weeks ago I mentioned going to a salvage yard and picking up some great cedar planks which became my rustic storage cupboard. Well, also on that trip I picked up a small bundle of old beadboard trim. It was $2, how could I resist. My husband must have thought I was crazy, I still have some newer beadboard I had taken down from my bedroom wall a couple of years ago. I have used my stash of beadboard in a couple of projects but this beadboard was different. It was old. It was the kind of wood that if you sanded off the top coat of paint, there was another coat of paint underneath waiting to be discovered…yeah that kind of old.
Anyway, old or not, it has patiently sat waiting in my workshop, waiting for me to come up with an idea of what to do with it.
I finally had my aha moment…a bed tray. A tray that says, I’m waiting for you to serve me breakfast in bed kind of bed tray.
So, besides the beadboard, I also needed 4 spindles, a 1 inch dowel (cut into 2, 10 inch pieces) and wood for the trim.
First, I’ll tackle the spindles. Each spindle was cut to an 8 inch length. The large square section will attach to the tray, while the skinnier part will serve as the feet.
Each of the dowel pieces was then trimmed with a miter saw set at 10 degrees. This will allow the legs to slightly bend out. Make sure that when you trim you leave as much of the length intact as possible, just chopping out one little corner.
With a sander, sanded down the feet to remove the hard edge of the cut.
Determined where the dowel would fit to give the tray some stability. One inch hole was drilled about 1/2 inch deep. Dowel was inserted and glued and nailed into place.
Now for the top. Cut four pieces of beadboard, 20 inches in length. (Washed off the mud too)
For the trim around the tray, I used 2 inch wide cedar planking I had leftover from my cabinet. If you are using new wood, a 1×2 or 1×3 will do the trick depending on how deep you’d like your tray. The edges were cut to fit and corners were mitered.
Before attaching the side pieces, the edges were sanded.
Since the beadboard was chippy as well as the legs, decided to give my side pieces a little chippy finish. This time I used vaseline. Just a little vaseline smeared on the edges where you don’t want the paint to stick does the trick.
If you use vaseline, you must use spray paint. Brushed on paint would smear the vaseline.
All 4 edge pieces were given a coat of white spray paint.
Once dry, the part of the wood where the vaseline was, wiped off easily with a paper towel.
And now for the finishing touches…
The beadboard was glued together and the edge pieces were glued and nailed to the beadboard. The legs were also glued and nailed into place.
The dowels were given a coat of dark walnut stain as well as the bottoms of the spindle feet.
Every other slat was painted a soft blue, then sanded down. The entire tray was given a wax finish and handles were screwed in. These handles came from Hobby Lobby.
I know it seems like a lot of steps, but the entire project took around 2 hours.
Mother’s day is just around the corner. Think about it, you could serve mom breakfast on her brand new tray!
and Best of the Nest