As a self confessed Scavenger, I am always on the hunt for my next project. This one happened to come from one of my favorite shops, Pottery Barn.
While most people look thru the Pottery Barn catalog thinking…Can I afford that? , I look thru with…Can I make that? These stars were definitely calling to me…you can do it , you can do it.
I am so looking forward to this snow melting and the temperature easing up so I can restock my supply. But until then, I did have some old oak flooring. Someone had dumped it behind an office building where it was just waiting for me.
For this project you’ll need 10 pieces of equal length of whatever wood you have available.
With a miter saw set at 36° cut one end of each of your ten boards keeping as much of the length intact as possible.
The other end of the board will have a cut of 18°. This is a tricky cut, make sure you keep your fingers far from the saw blade. I held my wood perpendicular to the saw blade and basically free handed the cut. I do not recommend that. Instead I refer you to this post on how to cut acute angles You may want to mark on the boards exactly which side gets the cut. I say that only after I messed up 3 boards cutting on the wrong side, oooops. Again, when you make the cut, cut only the angle leaving as much of the length intact as possible.
With glue and a nail gun attach all your inside corners. I definitely recommend a nail gun if you have one. Because of the angle it would be almost impossible to hold the angle tight while hammering. Once those are secure you’re ready for the outside corners. Again, glue and nail into place.
For my stars, 12 1/2 inch scrap wood makes a 31 inch star. Eight inch pieces of wood makes a 19 1/2 inch star.
As soon as I restock my pallet wood, I am sooo going to make a pallet wood star. Until then, I think I just saved $129.
Update….I finally found some pallet wood and was able to make another star. I think I liked working with the pallet wood better than the oak flooring because there was no “right” side. Also, the thickness of this wood made the angles easier to cut. I did, however, like the edge the tongue and groove flooring had.
and I was featured at