Last week when I posted the Heap of Change Challenge/workbench storage, I promised that I would be back to show you the wall where I keep my miter saw. Well, I’m back.
Earlier in the week I showed you how to make the pallet wood rolling storage cart you see on the right above. And now the transformation of the cabinet next to the bin.
This is just a reminder of what the space looked like before. It was probably the least messy of all the areas in the workshop but nevertheless it looked pretty awful.
Well the laminate countertop was reclad in pine 1×8’s and 1×10’s with a 1×3 border and a 1×4 backsplash. Is it still called a backsplash when it’s in the workshop?
The boards were glued and clamped together.
For more instruction on how to make your own countertop check out my laundry room wood counter post. The steps are very similar on the finishing, but in the workshop I had the benefit of being able to nail my wood directly to the existing countertop instead of using crossbraces.
I did knock the existing backsplash off the laminate countertop and added a new one to match the new countertop.
From the bottom you can see I added about a foot in length to my existing countertop and I also attached a board to the studs in the wall so that the countertop would sit level.
The whole piece was sanded and given a couple of coats of polystain. If , after your first coat of polystain your counter feels really rough, sand it down with either really fine sandpaper or fine steel wool…the polyurethane tends to pick out all the fibers in new wood and and make them really stiff. After sanding, wipe it down with a tack free cloth.
Ok, now back to the apothecary cabinet. The doors were taken off the cabinet and primed.
I measured across the cabinet and with a measurement of 21 1/2″, I figured I could make 4 “drawers” each measuring 5 inches across with 1/4 inch spacing between. The height of the cabinet was 22″…with a little more spacing at the top and bottom of the cabinet, the height of each “drawer” would also be 5 inches.
Marked out 20 5×5 boxes on thin luan plywood that I had sitting around.
Squares were cut then given a good sanding on the edges with a palm sander.
The squares were also primed.
My drawer fronts were now attached to the cabinet doors with wood glue and tacked into place for drying.
The drawer was treated a little differently. Since it had a concave front (and not flat like the cabinets) the entire front was pried off and replaced with a new board. Used the old drawer front as a pattern for the new.
The new drawer was also given fake apothecary drawer fronts.
For my drawer pulls I used some old wooden beads I had laying around the house. When my kids were younger they used to string them. Now they were given a coating of this nice rustoleum textured paint that looks rusty but supposedly stops rust.
Holes were marked and predrilled and knobs were attached.
Quite a difference from the before to the after. The bin to the left of the cabinet holds wood scraps from the chop saw.
The cabinet holds an assortment of dropcloths, extension cords, rags, trouble lights and sandpaper…stuff that is better left behind closed doors.
Have a great day and thanks for stopping by to see me clean up my mess!
I still have a couple more projects planned for the space above the saw, so make sure you check on my clean up progress next week. Have a great weekend.
And I was featured at