Earlier in the month I had the pleasure of scavenging the Route 11 Yard Crawl. One of my last finds of the day was a set of 4 extremely rusty tin cans. Being that it was late the vendor made me an offer I couldn’t refuse. Four for a dollar. I had no idea what they had been used for in their previous lives, but now I had to have them.
Took those rusty cans outside and gave them a quick spray of an exterior spray paint. While I love me some rust, even I thought they needed just a bit of color. I had this maroon color already on hand.
I then took my handy palm sander and gave the whole can a quick sand. To my surprise “maple syrup” appeared on two of the cans. It really was not noticeable before with all the rust. I thought they were paint thinner cans. Who knew?
Now with my handy dandy cutting tool, dremel, I cut a couple of slots in two sides of my tin: wide enough to get a pair of tin snips in. I cut about an inch away from the edges and into the corners as pictured. With gloves, I folded back the edges of the tin to give a nice rounded edge and a half inch border around the lantern.
To hold a candle , I picked up this set of 4 claret glasses at Walmart the other day. At $1.25 a glass, it brought my total to $1.50 per lantern.
First tried hanging one of the lanterns on my bird feeder pole. Not too bad, but I thought hanging them all together would make a bigger impact.
Here they are on my arbor. Can’t wait to eat dinner tonight under my new lanterns…. Oh wait, it’s supposed to rain.