I am always on the lookout for miscellaneous hardware to restock my pile of junk. I do a lot of projects where the hardware is missing, it needs hardware, or I’m just making something out of junk (like my junk angels).
One of my go to places is Ebay where I recently found a Lot of 40 knobs and pulls for $15 + $5 shipping. That might sound like a lot of money for old hardware that has seen better days, but that is only 50 cents a piece.
I visited Ebay to see if I could find an example of a mixed lot of hardware. There are hundreds and hundreds of listings for vintage hardware, but I found these for Vintage Pulls and Antique Vintage Pull Hardware last night. They aren’t quite as good as the deal I got, but these lots are huge, so if you use a lot of handles and knobs, these just might be for you.
These were “Buy it Now”, so by the time you are reading this, they just might be gone.
A quick an easy makeover for drawer pulls is to just paint the pulls with white chalk paint.
I think distressed is still in…so after painting your hardware, a quick sanding reveals some of the metal underneath.
More fancy drawer pulls get a coat of teal chalk paint.
This time, the chalk paint was followed by some black chalk paint, dry brushed on. Take some paint on your brush and use a piece of scrap paper to get rid of most of the paint, use the dry brush to paint on a few black highlights.
Sand off some of the edges if you like.
Next up, these antique gold drawer pulls.
These pulls started with a coat of black chalk paint.
Once the black chalk paint was dry, the pulls were finished with a light coat of red chalk paint. A light coat allows some of the black paint to show thru the red and I also left some of the black paint in the crevices untouched.
I finished these bright brass knobs two ways.
Their first makeover is just a coat of black chalk paint which totally changes their look.
The brass knobs second makeover was with a bit of sculpey clay…the kind of clay that you bake and it hardens in the oven.
A little blob of the sculpey clay (bigger than a pea but smaller than a marble) was smushed down over a rubber stamp.
What I was left with were these flower shapes which I trimmed with a utility knife.
The clay was baked in the oven for a few minutes to harden.
With tacky glue, I adhered the flower to the knob. Even though it looks like I got carried away with the glue, that was on purpose. I filled in all the gaps around the flower with the glue then smoothed the edges with my finger.
The glue is just about dry on this knob.
I painted the entire knob tan and followed the tan with a coat of white chalk paint leaving some of the tan paint showing thru in the grooves.
The knobs are now ready for my next project.
Happy President’s Day. Have a great week.
Shared at Salvaged Junk Projects,