When I started these hurricane lamps, I had no idea that I would be making a collection of slipcovers for hurricane lamps. That’s right, all the coverings just slip right off. You don’t really need more than 1 or 2 actual hurricane lamps, you just need a place to store the covers. The shell hurricane can be found here and the driftwood here.
Like the seashell hurricane lamp, this lamp starts out with a slipcover made from a dropcloth from Walmart. Not all dropcloths are created equal, you do not want one with a plastic backing–too stiff. If you don’t have a dropcloth any nice weight canvas will do.
Cut a piece of fabric the same height as the hurricane lamp and a inch and a half longer than the circumference of the lamp. The bottom edge of the fabric was cut on the finished edge of the fabric (selvage). Pin the fabric in place around your hurricane with the selvage at the bottom. Take the drop cloth off of the hurricane lamp and stitch along the line you just pinned.
Put the sleeve back on the hurricane lamp with the seam towards the outside.
Now, I had every intention of gluing real moss directly onto the glass and then my plans changed. I liked the fabric backing.
Now, I had every intention of gluing real moss directly onto my slipcover, then my plans changed again….the moss I had picked up in my yard and set aside was drying out, showing a little browning around the edges. (OK, it was a lot of browning)
Now, I had every intention of going to Michaels and buying a bag of the dried moss and gluing onto the slipcover and then my plans changed again.
Actually, there was nothing wrong with the last plan…at least not that I could tell…but I ran into these rolls of fake moss while I was at Michael’s for 60% off ($1.59 roll). Each roll went around my lantern exactly twice. Sold!! I needed 2 rolls.
The rolls of moss were really easy to hot glue in place. Glued the seam open as I went.
Just like the seashell hurricane lamp, hot glued the top edge of the fabric over first before covering with the moss.
To give the hurricane lamp a little pizzazz, glued a piece of jute around the vase, tacking in place with more hot glue.
Of the three hurricane lamps, this one probably took the least amount of time.
Don’t be surprised if I come up with another cover or two…they were so much fun to create and rather inexpensively at that.