I’m so excited to bring you my driftwood wreath today. The reason I’m so excited? This wreath has been at least 6 months in the making.
That is about when I first decided I wanted to make one (it actually may have been longer). So, what has taken me so long? It’s been a long scavenging road. Every time I’m in the woods, on a lake, on a river, on the beach I’m searching for driftwood. After 6 months of searching, what did I have to show for my efforts? About 10 pieces of driftwood in various sizes. I wasn’t even that picky, it didn’t even have to be real driftwood. All it had to be was a nice aged piece of wood.
Living only 3 hours from the Atlantic Ocean, you would think I would have a great source of driftwood. That would definitely not be the case. There is absolutely no driftwood at the beach.
Not one stick, not one twig. It’s even rather hard to find a shell.
So, you can either buy driftwood…apparently other people have some, or find other sources.
After six months of searching I finally decided to get serious and visit my local reservoir. Let’s make this happen.
I had found a few pieces at the reservoir a couple of years ago when I wasn’t on the search, maybe there was more to be had. After an hour of walking along the shoreline I had enough to fill a backpack. I was now ready.
Using a jigsaw and a scrap piece of 3/4″ plywood, cut out a wreath form. My piece was 19 inches wide while the wreath itself was 4 inches all around.
I then sanded the rough edges of the form and stained it so that any bare spots would show up as just a shadow not as a bare piece of wood.
I then covered the outside edge of the wreath form with my first layer of driftwood. This is a great place to use up any slightly curved pieces of wood. These were nailed into place with a nail gun, however, you could also use hot glue.
Before continuing, I prepared a pile of wood to use on my wreath. Most of the sticks were cut to be about 3-5 inches in length. Some of the fatter pieces of driftwood were sliced in half.
As I worked my way around the wreath, I tried to bury any cut edges of the driftwood with the next layer and have the more rounded edge of the driftwood sticking out. A few of the cut edges are still visible.
The first layer was nailed on. The remaining layers were applied one at a time around the entire wreath overlapping the previous layer by about half.
Once I got started the wreath came together really quickly. The 6 months was worth the wait.
I still have enough driftwood for another project and ooooohhhh the possibilities.
and I was featured at